Sunday, October 12, 2014

Arrowhead Stitch Tutorial

If you tuned into some of my last posts, you'll remember a "brief" mention of a certain "Arrowhead" stitch.

If memory serves, this is my first embroidery stitch tutorial--so bear with me.

The example you'll see below is actually a part of Doodleplex. I'm using this tutorial to add a little miscellaneous embellishment to mix things up.


Let us begin:

First, make a long stitch (or line of long stitches, depending on how big the shape is and if the center line is straight/curved) down the center of the area you want to fill.
In this case, that would be a McGyvered flower/leaf thing near the edge of Doodleplex Part II:


Next, you make two stitches at the "bottom" of your shape, for as long as you can go while following the outline. Sink the needle either in the same hole as the first big stich or underneath the thread as close to the hole as possible. In this case, because the leaf I'm trying to fill has such an elongated shape, my stitches are long compared to the shape of the leaf:

(please forgive the horrible picture, I couldn't get my camera to cooperate)


Afterwards, keep filling in the shape with stitches parallel to those bottom two stitches. Your stitches should start at the outline (or slightly outside of the outline depending on preference/desired effect), and end under that big stitch down the center.


And just continue that way until you get as far as you want.



If you want an arrow like finish, just keep stitching until you're sinking stitches at the very end of that long stitch. If you want a rounded finish (as seen here), adjust the angle and the length of your stitches when you get to the rounded portion of your shape.



Out of curiosity, I tried stitching a leaf the opposite way. Parallel stitches first, and then the long stitch down the center.

First off, I made a mistake and made my bottom stitches waaaaay too long, so if it looks funny there's a 95% chance it was due to an error on my part.


Other than that, I'd say the effect was very similar if not the same. So, whichever works for you should turn out just fine.


^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment