Friday, December 30, 2011

Lace Ring #2

So, after much consideration, I decided to try again. Learning from my last ring, I decided to give the band more support and made a new pattern with more horizontal bars.
And I came up with this:

aaaand by this time, I remembered my camera and got some pictures of the production:

On the other hand, I did maybe kinda forget to take pictures of when I actually joined the two ends of the ring, but I will definitely put it on my to-do list.

By the way, I did the stitching in the gaps before I joined the two pieces together.

I will, however, do my best to explain the absolutely horrible, tremendous, monstrous (just kidding =D ) process of joining the two ends together.

As seen on my left, I'm at the end of the pattern (I didn't do the last bit of horizontal bars). Now, instead of just closing it off right there and having a flat rectangle on my hands, I threaded both of the threads on the bottom (you can't see it, but the top threads are very short) on a fine needle (skinniest I could find), ran the thread through the loops made by the couching thread (light colored thread) through the top line of the pattern, and then through one of the vertical bars to reach the bottom line of the pattern. I did this to keep it strong and make sure it held.

So far, it seems to have worked. It has survived my klepto kitty and my chew happy pug. Not a newbie stitch out of place ^_^

Oh! And it's extremely washable since I made it out of polyester (Gutermann).

Wednesday, December 21, 2011


Around... week one and half of my pink-eye-imposed blindness, I decided that I had enough skill to try to learn how to make jewelry (lacery?) out of lace.

After debating a bit, I decided that rings seemed like the easiest thing to do (and the smallest thing not requiring earring hooks). I drew out a pattern and I did the outline, and moved on straight to buttonholing the outline without sticking any stitches in.
Needless to say, it was definitely a first try:

Now, it keeps it shape, but is extremely flimsy. When I put it on my finger, it rolled around and twisted up and had to be coerced into place.

It was good practice though. You know, learn from your mistakes and all that =) 

Tuesday, December 20, 2011


The organza was a pain to work with. I'm just gonna say it. Mostly, because of the color, though, and i was working with a piece of white paper underneath it... not something I recommend.

So, I moved on to some red chiffon that I'd gotten on sale for practicing some sewing stitches (I don't get out much). The weave was much more clear and more open with the chiffon, so it was easier, but still not something that I could see actually being used as a method. (I still don't know if I'm doing it right).

I did all this before I remembered that my camera had a super closeup setting, so all the pictures that I've posted so far have been done for about two weeks or so.

Back on the ranch, I give you... red chiffon:

You can't really tell, but the yellow oval and the blue circle on the bottom have your basic net stitch, while everything else except for... the (lemme check).... dark grey circle on the upper right and the light grey paisley type thing on the bottom right are a double net stitch, while said dark circle and light paisley type thing are a triple net stitch.

In order of completion, here are the sections:

I used polyester thread for everything. I figure since I'm just barely starting out, there's no need to go ordering anything fancy before I have the skill to use it right.

I'm still new on blogger, so I have absolutely no idea how to make these pictures sit right. Therefore, I'm going to type a little more to fill up this massive space because it's driving me up the wall.


Apparently, I was doing the stitches wrong. Go figure. Shortly after the red circle, I completed a lovely dark grey circle with uniform stitches and everything... it is currently MIA, though I think my vacuum of a pug, or my pickpocket of a siamese might've had something to do with the M part.

Anywho, I decided to move on to what originally got my attention about lace. My mom told me that she saw it being made once, where they were actually sewing it onto the fabric and I thought hmm... there's probably some info about how to do that on the internet.

There isn't. At least none that I could find--but after a couple of forum hits, I decided to wing it and just pick up some of whatever material I was using during the buttonholing of the outline. So, I went to my local Chedraui (Mexican grocery store) and picked up some cheap organza, and I came up with this:

Here's the back:

Five bucks I did it wrong, but hey, at least I tried =D

Next Try

Shortly after my stumble with the rectangle, I decided to try something smaller and differently shaped:

  And so, I give you... totally-screwed-up-stitch circle.

Baby Steps

Right before the famous pink eye episode, fearing for the integrity of my eyes, I decided that it would be a marvelous idea to make lace on a... larger scale. Therefore, I give you the first piece of "lace" that I ever actually sort of made.

It's supposed to be a rectangle... apparently those don't work very well.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hi again

So... bear with me, dear non-existent reader. I soon hope to have some pictures of the stitches I've learned and how to do them, along with some of my projects. Though, between school and school and well, school, it might take a bit.

And then there's the fact that I can't exactly find the USB cable for my camera... hmm.


So far, this is a tester blog. I'm trying to figure out if this is the right type of thing for me. Hope it works... haha.